Sunday, November 04, 2007

let the world change you, and you can change the world.

photos from one of my photojournalism assignments:


Caption: Christine Swiderski, exhibitions coordinator at
Ontario College of Art & Design, poses in one of the four OCAD student galleries.


Headline: STUDENTS AT WORK
Caption: Three radio and television arts students from Ryerson University
in Toronto collect footage for an assignment near Yonge-Dundas Sqaure.


Caption: OCAD student Staphanie Curtis's paintings are on
display at a student gallery on McCaul Street.


++++++


went out to dinner in Little India with kira, sara, ed, oatz and ray. yummertastic but it was overpriced by far. i had zero appetite because i was sick. oatie was hella hyper -- she says that because i am so mellow, (i know you don't think of me as mellow, but that is proof of how much i have changed) she is double the amount of giddy/loud she normally is..

oatie made a somewhat rambley, somewhat coherent little speech, toasting to friendship and journalism and great careers and amazing lives and yummy food and all those things. many of us aspire to be famous journalists, which i still find bewildering, because i've never been around such group of people back at home. kira kept saying i would turn out to be a famed photographer. i need to do a post on kira later.

everyone talked a mile a minute and shared random stories.

i found out that kira regularly volunteers for the record label Arts & Crafts (home to Broken Social Scene, Stars, Apostle of Hustle, Feist, Most Serene Republic etc -- arguably the best canadian independent record label EVER), and gets paid in concert tickets and promo cds. WHAT THE EFF?? how does she manage to be so freaking lucky?????????

anyway. i'm sick and earlier in the day, i took some cough medicine after a measly meal of a yogurt and orange juice (aka near-empty stomach). woooooooo. i totally felt high afterwards. i was sitting in my room, staring at the computer screen, and everything looked surreal. HAHAHA. so drugged out. tried to sleep it off in the middle of the day, but it was impossible because my mind was so antsy. i need to get un-ill quickly.

early this afternoon, i took portraits of this guy, Sina, for the school paper... the editor on the phone told me it was some random dude who started some random website... turns out that's not the case at ALL. Sina is a twentysomething ryerson student who invested everything he had (he sold his car) to construct this GLBT-friendly job directory called NuEconomy.com. i was all 'whoa, im talking to a semi important person.' he was very professional and friendly and gave me a free tshirt. rad! HAHAHA.

having coffee with anna tomorrow. she's here briefly to visit her friend at U of T, whom i met and talked to for a nanosecond at lara's party when i was drunk off my ass. she called me tonight and i couldn't believe how happy i was to hear her voice.

a gazillion things going through my mind, can't put it down all here, but maybe one day i will. i need to be more eloquent with my words so i can neatly record it down. until then...

xoxo

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Whow crap, really weird thing. I hope this isnt awkward for me to be commenting considering I have no idea of who you are and undoubtably you dont know me. But uhh.... first off, you going into photojournalism, no joke, me too. I dont know if that is what I will end up doing but it is certainly what I am going to start out trying. Anywho, also I found you because one of your favorite movies is big fish me too! And well, you like princess mononke (I dont know how its spelled :/ ) Yeah and I thought it was funny cool, you should respond to me via my blog "Love, Learning, and The Busy Life" :P

Have a super day!

Krista said...

two friends i have that were in a photojournalism course eventually got sweet hookups don't worry it'll happen for you, you're on your way! free t-shirt!